Frequently Asked Questions
Lifetime LicenseThe (Lifetime license) allows you to utilize all features enclosed with the LoGrobot tool, indefinitely. In other words, your copy of the LoGrobot tool will never expire.
Users with (Lifetime licenses) will receive FREE updates and upgrades during the first year. After the first year, you can choose to purchase upgraded versions of the LoGrobot tool if the features in the upgrades are of interest to you. If not, nothing changes for you. You will continue to have unlimited access to all of LoGrobot's existing capabilities.
1 Year LicenseThe (1 year license) allows usage for a period of 1 year (366 days). Notifications will be sent to you when the expiration date is within 1 month so you have enough time to renew.
Users with (1 year licenses) are also entitled to updates throughtout the year for which the purchased license is valid.
Feel free to reach out to us (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you need any clarifications.
The log monitoring capabilities of LoGrobot include, but surely aren't limited to:
- Monitoring/Alerting on the contents of system log files (errors, strings, keywords, patterns etc)
- Monitoring/Alerting on custom Application log files (mysql, oracle, apache/http and much more)
- Alerting if certain keywords / patterns ARE NOT found inside a specific log within a specific timeframe
- Monitoring/Alerting on the timestamps of log files (verify specific files are being updated regularly)
- Monitoring several log files at the same time - (very useful if you have multiple logs to scan)
- The capability to monitor both live and rotated logs to ensure no critical log entries are missed
- Graphing the frequency with which user-specified patterns occur in log files - Or graph for anomalies
- Monitoring/Alerting on the size of log files (make sure a log or file does not grow past a certain size)
- Monitor large log files no matter how big they are (even logs that are several GIGABYTES in size)
- Conditional Monitoring..i.e: a). Alert if the value(s) in a certain column of specific log entries has a value greater than/less than x
- View log entries on from multiple remote hosts/servers from one Web Interface (avoid having to SSH to each host)
- ANALYSIS - Easily identify which minute or hour of the day had the most entries recorded - Anomaly Detection
- Configurable to run either via Zabbix, Zenoss, Nagios or CRONTAB (as a cron entry) a). Get email alerts & notifications on all log checks b). Does not require the installation of Nagios, Zabbix or Zenoss
- Automatically send log metrics to Graphite for historical trending and visualization - No need for any extra configurations on your part!
- Avoid having to read endless documentations or waste time training staff on new software
- Monitor several different patterns in the same log a). Allows passing of different thresholds to each pattern b). Allows for the filtering of specific lines to avoid unnecessary noise
- In-Depth Analysis: Check logs for instances of unusual behavior a). Can be configured to alert whenever abnormality is observed in log content, log growth and/or log update times i). Identifies irregularity in the activities of a monitored log
- Manage log file checks from a central location - Integrate with Nagios, Zenoss, Zabbix, Sensu, Hyperic, New Relic and much more! - Aggregate critical log entries into one central server
- Monitors custom Log Files of any application or database on any Linux / AIX / HP-UX / Sun Solaris host
- Simple, pluggable command-line parameters (no need for any confusing configuration files) - Eliminates the need to have to re-deploy configs to remote hosts each time a log check is implemented or updated.
- Monitor Directory File Count***
- Can be configured to alert on the size / disk usage of all monitored log files Example: Alert if the size of /var/app/custom.app.log exceeds 10MB
- Configurable to alert on the growth of log files Example: Alert if the most recent size of /var/log/messages is the same size it was at the time of last check
- Monitor all or specific type of logs in a specific directory a). Point logxray to ANY directory with just one check! i). Avoid having to define separate checks for each log file b). Specify the type of files to exclude / include in monitoring i). Assign different thresholds for each file type
- Monitor timestamps of files (ensure specific logs are being updated regularly / frequently) - Monitor the age of single log files or multiple log files in a directory
- Scan specific logs via time frames (i.e. previous 20 minutes, 60 minutes, 1 day, 1 week etc)
- Alert when expected records of events are NOT found within a set period of time
- Scan logs for specific entries and exclude a list of user specified patterns from the result
- Allows for monitoring of all log files, even Windows files (mounted through NFS on a UNIX server)
- Provides information in each alert on how long ago a particular string/pattern was last found in a monitored log
- Remote Agent Included to enable monitoring of logs on several hosts FROM ONE master server a). This is for users who don't have NRPE installed in their environment i). Allows complete control of log checks on all remote hosts / servers
- Automatically figures out conditions on which to recover alerts, based on log content & other variables - No false positives
- Automatically detects log file type and format without user intervention (if using autofig, as opposed to autonda)
- Use ONE tool to automatically monitor any log format - Avoid using several different scripts!
- Monitor SYSLOG files in Linux / HP-UX / SunOS / AIX (/var/log(adm)/messages, /var/log/syslog(kern.log) etc)
- Updated regularly to meet new demands from various clients / companies
If you wish to visualize your log file activities, you have options.
- You can download and install the Graphite Application
- You may want to also install Grafana if you wish to beautify your graphs
- We can help you with the installation of both Graphite and Grafana
- After Graphite/Grafana is installed, simply add an entry to each log check you create
- The entry you will need to add will include the graphite server IP and the port
- Whenever LoGrobot sees a check with a graphite setting, it will automatically send its metrics to the listed IP at the listed port.
.. '.*error.*' '.' 1 2 errchk -ndfoundmul graphite,126.96.36.199,2003,typical
- With this dashboard, you dont need to install Graphite.
All you need is an Apache/HTTP PHP Enabled Webserver
- You can generate on-demand charts and graphs to show the historical trend of:
- Application, Database, System & Network errors
- Volume of entries
- Compare the latest metrics retrieved from a log check to past metrics
- Know quickly if the current value is cause for concern i.e.
- Why is the volume of entries today lower than that of a week ago?
- Why did the number of errors suddenly triple in size?
- Why is the volume of entries for the current hour so different from the same hour, yesterday, the day before, 3 days ago, a week ago etc
- Uncover valuable pieces of information you didnt even know were available!
If using NRPE,
- Copy the logXray zip file you just purchased to the hosts on which you have log files to monitor
- ssh to one of the remote hosts from above step.
- Download our free auto installer
- Pass the download link of your recently purchased LoGrobot zip to the autoinstaller
- - Also, pass, as a parameter, the directory to install logrobot into
- - Make sure you specify whichever directory you consider your plugins or scripts directory
In other words, perform the following steps on the remote nodes:
- cd ~
- wget http://www.LoGrobot.com/klazy ; ls -ld klazy ; chmod 755 klazy ; ls -ld klazy
- ./klazy http://www.LoGrobot.com/the-logrobot.zip /the/path/you/prefer/to/put/the/executable/for/easy/access i.e.
- ./klazy http://www.LoGrobot.email@example.com...zip /prod/nagios-4.2.4/plugins/logrobot
- - Add an entry referencing the location of the logrobot tool
If using the Custom Monitoring Agent that comes with logXray:
- First install the agent on the remote box:
- su - nagios (or whatever your monitoring user name is)
- cd ~
- wget http://www.LoGrobot.com/klazy ; ls -ld klazy ; chmod 755 klazy ; ls -ld klazy
- ./klazy logXray /var/tmp/logXray 1040 <ip(s)-of-your-master-server(s)>
- ./klazy logXray /var/tmp/logXray 1040 10.20.30.40 (OR)
- ./klazy logXray /var/tmp/logXray 1040 10.20.30.40,188.8.131.52
- e). ./klazy logXray status
- Verify the logXray remote agent is up and running.
- cd ~
- ./klazy http://www.LoGrobot.com/the-logrobot.zip /var/tmp/logXray/plugins i.e.
- ./klazy http://www.LoGrobot.com/logrobot.verify_your@email.....zip /var/tmp/logXray/plugins
- - Note, on the REMOTE NODES, you MUST specify the directory [ /var/tmp/logXray/plugins ] as the location for the log monitoring plugin.
- - When the above completes successfully, the logrobot tool is now installed on the remote node.
- ssh to the master server
- run the following command
./logrobot <node-fqdn> /var/tmp/logXray autonda /tmp/err.log 60m '.*fatal.*' '.' 1 2 TagErr -ndshow sudo:remote
- Simplicity - It does not require an extensive learning process to get used to. Extremely user-friendly!
- Unlike any of our competitors, we built LoGrobot / logXray to cater directly to the everyday needs of the typical:
- - System Administrator - Watch system logs, security logs, mail logs and basically any logs
- - Database Administrator - Monitor multiple different error codes in one log or multiple logs
- - Be able to easily specify exclusion patterns in areas where you wish to eliminate unnecessary noise
- - Monitoring Engineer - Spin up new log monitoring checks very quickly without having to develop them yourself!
- - Developers - Monitor important log files for errors or activity during code testing
- - Get alerts and / or watch progress on live graphs
- - Usable directly on the command line to perform a wide range of different operations on logs & directories
- - Nagios
- - Zabbix
- - Zenoss
- - Sensu
- - Tivoli
- - Datadog
- - Crontab / Cron (for sending log alerts in case you dont have any monitoring system in place)
- - When it comes to the monitoring of log files and the management of alerts on them, we understand there are infinite number of ways things can be done
- - Our users are given the chance to request the development of custom features for free
- - These customer specific features will be tailored specifically towards each individual user need
- - If we believe a newly requested feature will be useful to the general public, we will add it to future releases of the LoGrobot suite!
- - What that means is, there is nothing complicated for you to configure
- - No more scripts for you to write!
- - If you need a custom feature, simply reach out us (firstname.lastname@example.org) to develop it for you, for free!
- Chances are, your custom feature already exist in the LoGrobot tool in which case, we'll just need to show you how to access it.
- - Yes, all new customers get those updates for FREE for the first year
- - Can monitor multiple logs in a directory in under 1.5 second
- - Requires NO extra system configuration or new package/library acquisition for it to work.
- Its ready to go right out of the box!
Analysis / Mining
Generate on-demand graphs / charts on log file metrics - see how many errors or overall entries an application, database, system or network generated on a specific date or range of dates
Log File Content
Monitor content of log files for new occurrences (or lack thereof) of specific keywords, strings or patterns.
Log File Size
Monitor the sizes of single or multiple log files - alert if log size breaches predefined thresholds.
Log File Growth
Monitor the growth of single or multiple log files - alert when the monitored logs stop receiving new data.
Log File Timestamp
Monitor the timestamp of single or multiple logs. Alert, if logs are older than X amount of minutes or hours.